I've had a couple of informational interviews so far with Minnefx Studios and the Vee Corproration.
At Minnefx I met Gordon Smuder who is a fantastic guy who gets to explore the inner geek on a daily basis. At Minnefx they specialize in doing special effects miniatures for various companies. They do some really incredible work. Over at Vee I got to meet and talk to a man named Steve Bergman. He was kind enough to give me some good advice and refer me to some other companies locally who also do prop work and special effects.
As far as I'm concerned if you want to get out there and meet people and really get some good info you just have to pick up the phone and ask people straight out for an interview. It's gone a long way for me already. It's thanks to that way of thinking that has gotten me the informational interviews. I think both went well but unfortunately it's slow for everyone right now and no one really has any work to do.
Tomorrow I've got another interview with Atomic Props over in Oakdale. That was a referral from Steve at Vee that prompted me to look them up. They do specialty billboards.
I also submitted my info to a place called Apropos Studios, but they are hurting worse than me right now. I sent a resume and submitted an application to a place called 3 ring scenic also who does props for music videos and commercials.
I'll elaborate more on these companies individually, right now I just wanted to get caught up to speed as to where I've been applying.
Welcome to my new journey!
I am 37, have been running my own business for the past few years and am attempting the impossible. A career change as I head towards 40!
My business is doing well (g3 Studios, link to the right) but due to the economy and my business being directly related to the housing market I am seeing a decline in interest in the services I offer.
Follow along as I chronicle the experience and see if I can break into the arts community and turn it into a full time career!
My business is doing well (g3 Studios, link to the right) but due to the economy and my business being directly related to the housing market I am seeing a decline in interest in the services I offer.
Follow along as I chronicle the experience and see if I can break into the arts community and turn it into a full time career!
Sunday, November 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment